News Media Room

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

Last updated Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Public Service Announcement

Importing alcohol from outside Nunavut

Adults who are 19 years of age or older may bring liquor (beer, ciders, coolers, wine spirits, etc.) into Nunavut on their person (in their luggage) if the amounts are under these personal exemption limits: 3 liters of spirits; 9 liters of wine; 26 liters of beer.

If you want to bring in more than this amount – or if you are not travelling from outside Nunavut – you must first purchase a liquor import permit from the Government of Nunavut for a fee.

You can purchase a liquor import permit if you live in a community that has chosen to be either ‘restricted’ or ‘unrestricted’ under the Liquor Act. If your community is ‘restricted’ you also need the approval of the local Alcohol Education Committee (AEC).

It is illegal to bring liquor into a community where alcohol is prohibited.

You can purchase liquor import permits in different ways:

  • By sending an email to @email.
  • In-person
  • By phone​
Iqaluit NULC store                                 Rankin Inlet NULC (Siniktarvik Building) Cambridge Bay, Department of Finance (Helen Maksagak Centre)
9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday to Friday
9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Monday to Friday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Monday to Friday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Phone: 867-975-6869 Phone: 855-844-5488 Phone: 867-983-4048

Please note, starting April 1, 2021, import permits will no longer be available from the Hamlet of Kugluktuk.

To purchase a liquor import permit from the Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis Commission (NULC) you will need to have an account with them.

Liquor import permits are non-refundable and are valid for only one order. They must be used within three weeks of purchase date.

For more information about Nunavut’s liquor system please visit the Department of Finance’s website.


Media Contact:

Weichien Chan
Manager, Communications
Department of Finance

Share this page

Is this page useful?
Help us improve this site by writing a comment in the submission box below.